Search This Blog

Thursday 5 June 2014

Chair update

I've been taking my time working out exactly how I am going to cover my chair this week. I have made a fair few squares and got thoroughly bored of them. So decided to see what adding some good old fashioned granny stripes would do for the over all effect.
The only way I could think of seeing exactly how it was going to work (and how many squares I still needed to make and in which colours) was to pin everything on to the chair so I could play around with it and see where the gaps where. First things first, I had to get rid of the frill at the bottom of the chair, easier said than done!

Look at all those staples, there were hundreds! And underneath that neat bit of card tape, another row of staples! So with a screw driver and pliers I set about prizing each staple off, it took ages and several lumps from my fingers but I have managed it and I am so pleased that I did, I love the shape of the chair without it.

The granny stripe does look good there, just needs another row to make it fit nicely and I am still undecided on whether to give it a little bit of pretty edging too. I like the stripes so much I might do the back of the chair in the same.

I have decided to make the cover in two peices, the back and the seat, this is purely for ease of getting it on and off the chair, fitting nicely and not getting pulled all out of shape in the process. 

I am almost sure that I am going to have the squares in graduated colours too and not random, but that could change. As you can see, I haven't finished making the squares yet, but now I have an idea of which colours I need more of, I can get cracking with them.

All in all I am happy with how it is coming along but I am impatient to finish it, I just want to see it done! Maybe by next weekend, but then I have found that these things usually take longer than I think they will, it's not the crocheting that takes the time, it's working out how to put it all together, great fun though!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment