Search This Blog

Monday 14 July 2014

Duck tales

A new week and lots to do. Lots of ideas of new things to make and stuff that needs doing around the house. This simple idea I found on-line; flies don't like lavender (apparently) and I am sick of them buzzing around the house when all the windows and doors are open in the hot weather. So I have pinched some from the garden and made little bundles of it and hung them near all the windows and doors. It seems to be working :)
With the house now smelling nice and the flies at bay, my plan for this morning was to try making something that I have been thinking of for a while:
Tunisan crochet in a circle! There is a lovely pattern out there called Sunny Daze by Laura Pavy for a big Tunisian Entrelac blanket and it is so beautiful, I have wanted to make something along similar lines for a while. I didn't want to just follow someone else's pattern though, that would be too easy, I wanted to try to do it for myself. My biggest hurdle was how to start it, so I came up with the idea of crocheting into trebles, (the way I normally would for something round) and it worked! I was just about to get started on the next round when I heard a scraping from behind the TV cabinet. 
The Demon Cat had brought me a present!
A duck! It wasn't a very old duck, it still had most of it's brown downy feathers and only a few proper feathers, but still it was big and I am totally baffled as to how he managed to get it through the cat flap.

The duck seemed to be in an OK condition, considering its ordeal, but I had no idea what to do with it. I couldn't leave it there and it seemed in no hurry to move itself so I got a box and put it beside the poor bird and it hopped in. I didn't dare just put it outside, not with The Demon Cat lurking in the garden so I had a walk down to the nearby park and set it free. It hopped out of the box, wings flapping and looking in very good shape, gave me a quack and waddled off into the bushes.

I guess it has more of a chance out there fending for itself than it would have if I had taken it to the Vets, who told me they would have to put it to sleep if I took it to them.

Aaanyway, back to my Tunisian circle for a while now the wildlife has been dealt with!

No comments:

Post a Comment